If only kids shared their toys as well as they share their germs with one another, we’d have little to no fights! In the midst of this awful cold and flu season, keeping my kids’ immune systems strong is always on my radar. How the body fights a virus is almost pre-calculated based on how the body is taken care of year round. Below, I’ve explained a few tactics I use both during sick season and year round, in an effort to keep the little bodies running at full steam ahead!
- Eat your probiotics. Studies have revealed that having a healthy balance of bacteria in your gut can help keep your immune system strong. What we eat: Kefir, pickles (or relish in chicken salad!), yogurt, sauerkraut, olives, dark chocolate (sparingly!)
- Drink smoothies over juices. Smoothies are one of the best ways to get in a boatload of immunity-boosting phytonutrients and carotenoids into your kids. You can get creative with your concoctions by adding grains, seeds, veggies, yogurt or kefir, healthy fats. Endless possibilities to cater to the toddler tongue. Unlike juices, smoothies contain the entire fruit or vegetable including skin, where most of the fiber lives! Tip: If your kiddo isn’t a fan of smoothies, use the mixture to blend into a pancake or muffin recipe by adding eggs and whole wheat/oat flour!
- Keep those sippy cups busy! Staying hydrated helps cell functioning throughout the entire body. If those cells are equipped with enough water, they are better able to fight disease. Leave water bottles around the house and never leave home without one. Water helps to produce lymph in the body, which carries white blood cells and other immune system cells.
- Run them wild. In adults, exercise has been shown to increase the number of natural killer cells in the body, and can also benefit kids in the same way. Take them outside for fresh air when you can during sick season. Tip: Exercise with them. Lead by example to create a lifelong fitness habit!
- Eat the next best thing to fruits and veggies, every day. Ever worry your little one is not eating enough fruits and veggies as recommended? It may or may not be the case, but there is a delicious solution to deliver whole food nutrition that they may be missing, and to give you piece of mind. The Juice Plus gummies are packed with over 30 fruits, vegetables, and grains! The Children’s Health Study shows proven results on how these “treats” can make a difference kids’ health overall! And, anyone aged 3-26 years old will receive a FREE supply with an adult sponsor. Interested? Email me! Samantha@samanthaisaacson.com