I love the winter holiday season for many reasons. To name a few of my favorite…Ugg boots, bright colored scarves, warm tasty drinks, social gatherings, giving to others, and artistically decorated storefronts. This all seems like a winter dreamland until the holiday stressors start to kick in. These stressors can come from a variety of channels like money, staying fit through “eating season”, shopping and crowds, sweating the small things like over-cooked brownies, or going overboard trying to please others. I get it. It’s so easy to let stress get the best of you during the holidays, but you don’t have to let it! Take a step back, a big deep breath, and follow these few tips to enjoy your holiday season to the fullest. After all, it only comes around once a year!
1. Watch comedy. Laughing reduces stress hormones!
2. Turn up the jams! Listening to your favorite music can relax blood vessels, increase blood flow, and allows you to relax.
3. Squeeze in workouts. When you don’t feel like working out, is when you actually need it the most. Exercise can boost your mood for up to 12 hours!
4. Bundle up and go for a brisk walk. Walking can improve mental and emotional satisfaction, and reduce stress. Stroll through a neighborhood or street filled with holiday lights!
5. Go “tech free”…at least for a short period of time. Buzzes and email alerts keep us in a fight-or-flight mode due to the adrenaline bursts, which contribute to higher levels of stress.
6. Schedule “me time”. This will help you relax, zone out, and recharge.
7. Eat breakfast, no matter what! This can balance your sugar levels, enhance your mood, improve concentration and give you energy. You’ll have all the power needed to start your day off with a boom!
8. Take a deep breath and live in the moment. Focus your energy on enjoying the people in your life, the food you eat, and the laughs you’ll share. Never lose sight of what means the most to you.